Wednesday, July 10, 2013

How a sippy cup gave me confidence to train a dog...



I have a friend who's little 1.5yr old boy is in urgent need of learning to drink from a sippy cup. PRONTO.  

He has a surgery consultation coming up soon and his mommy hasn't given up hope that her little man may learn some new things and prove to all that he won't need a feeding tube for  the next 2yrs. (A dear family friend has been on a feeding tube, so we know exactly what this means...)

This little guy came over today and we all got involved in the "BIG SIP" game... My 13 & 11 yr olds even got sippy cups and everyone joined the biggest sober juvenile drinking party before noon! For every big sip this little man did, he was rewarded with Cocoa Pebbles. Yes, you read that.

I really dislike lifeless no good junk cereal like that but somehow it crept into this house, and no it wasn't on MY shopping trip, I'll tell you that much! But thank goodness it was here! (I was searching for fruity Cherrios, thank you! We were out).

But little man LOVED the chocolate and we got a good 20+ "Big Sips" over the next few hours and had parties, did dances and were extrememly consistent... He went on to wanting to open the pantry door- so he had to do the "Big Sip!" It took the 7th time or so, but he caved as the curiosity got the best of him and I wasn't bothered by the baby squeal of detest for MY not caving-

I guess to wrap it up quickly here now...When I first got into learning about dog trainers I thought "Oooh Ahhh, I could never....

Then I started learning through, well, observing, asking questions, and reading up...I also began talking out loud and thought, "You know, I'm a good mom, I wonder how I could translate the discipline of the kids into the discipline of a dog?" 

Maybe that sounds ridiculous but it was a good enough start for me. I began with my own dog to see if I stood a chance. So far so good. She's got some cute things going for her. Next I went to refresh on my kids- well kinda. It's hard to be so close to something you don't know if you can see it in truth or not, really...So today was a true blessing for us! And we were all a part of it. Even my son who will soon be training his own dog, and we will all be a part of that, I'm sure.

So as grateful as this mom was for all our help today, I am more grateful to her. I loved the tiny preview that this mama (me) still has somethin' when it comes to the little people, and I'm glad our family pitched in and helped.

Here's Jesse, our Yorkie, doing her little "show"...

No comments:

Post a Comment